15 June 2013

2 Years and 10 Months

This reading will telling about the highlight summary during my tenure in Amdocs for Telkomsel project.

Few years ago (2010-2011) you may ever heard there was an controversy in public or/and even up to the highest level of government in Indonesia, when Telkomsel - the biggest Indonesian cellular provider has appointed Amdocs to replace their aging billing system with new systems from Amdocs. 

Where is the controversy ?! Here you go ...

Amdocs is a giant company from Israel that providing various IT solutions especially for applications in telco industry such as Rating, Billing, Charging, CRM, etc. As we all understand, Indonesia does not have legal bilateral relationship with that Jewish state, even our government is not acknowledge its existence. However, in the background our government already has business relationship with Israel since decades back - you may remember when Indonesia purchased A-4 Skyhawk Fighter Jet on early of 1980. Yes, we purchased it from Israel, it was considered as the greatest intelligence operations we have done so far. I believe there are many more examples which is not exposed to public.

So, yes it is an Israel company, not an America company as informed in media.

Hmmmm ... I think it is enough for politics, I don't want to discuss about it anyway. 

I want to share only about my own experiences when I was be a part of it, I was there when it happened. Definitely there are many ups and downs during the times, but I just want to share only for the ups, there is no point if we talking the downs right ?

I joined Amdocs on 9 August 2010, I remembered it was first day of Holy Month of Ramadan. I was assigned as Network Sr. Subject Matter Expert for OCS (Online Charging Systems) project. At that time, project has started about 6 months, 3 new Data Centers has been established, 2 in Jakarta and 1 in Makassar.

There was no time for honeymoon in new office, everyone was in high pressure and tension, tight schedules, tight timelines, multiple stability issues, multiple priority 1 escalations, etc. 

On the first week itself, I got my first task to deliver on the job training for selected IT Staff from Telkomsel, I have to explain them how is the work of OCS network infrastructure, goshhh ... in the other hand I was still learning myself to understand overall systems behavior. Not a big deal, I don't understand, they also don't understand, I can manage it hehehehehe ... 

My main job responsibility was not much different as I did in my previous company, so the adoption process was not took long time. As time goes by, I learned many new things in technical and non technical aspects as well, such as load balancing the system, high availability of the system, project management, managing vendors, dealing with high demanding customer, communication and negotiation are the things I have on my plate everyday.

Starting from October 2010 onwards, I started my onsite assignment to build up from the scratch multiple data centers for OCS, it spreads in various big cities across the nation, Sumatra, Jawa, Kalimantan and Sulawesi. In total, we have established brand new 8 OCS Data Centers in less than 3 years !!

I think I was so lucky at that time, flying with the best Indonesian airline was became my common transportation, long stayed in 5 stars hotels was my routines, visiting many interesting places for free, I am sorry boss, I did it after all the works done.


I have very strong and solid team mate in Amdocs, the bonding among us is very strong, for your information, it was cross nations, cultural and religion team. We learn to respect each other, to support one and another. We work smart together for the same goals. 

In the end, I have to leave Amdocs on May 2013, just before I got announcement for my 2nd time promotion,  It was difficult decision to take, but I have my own aspirations to be achieved.

L'hitraot !!

No comments:

Post a Comment